
Like always, let me just tell u a bit bout the movie before I tell you what I think bout the movie.
I'm not sure when is the movie set in but I'm guessing it's set in the not too distant future. Anyway, in the not too distant future, our world as we know has gone to shit. About 30 years ago, there was a flash of blinding light which tore a 'hole' in the sky. This 'hole' allows the sun UV light to burn the whole world. Thus, the shitty world you see. I know the details are a lil vague, but again I'm guessing the flash of blinding light was due to nuclear war which tore a hole in our ozone layer, you know the part of our atmosphere which protects us from dangerous UV light.
Anyway, let us skip to the story shall we. The world is in chaos now. There are no rules and laws to govern ppl. Ppl are fighting for scarce resources like water and food. And towns are run by gangsters. And out of all these mess, a man walks from East to West for the past 30 years carrying the last bible in the world. However, another man named Carnegie wants the bible for no good reasons. Obviously, the man carrying the bible will do everything he can to protect it coz he believes God told him to bring the bible to West.
As soon as the movie started, I knew this is one movie which most ppl will not like. And I was right. Most ppl in the theater were so restless and couldn't wait to leave the hall when it ended. So considered yourself warned. You see, the pace of the movie is really slow. Regardless, I'm still a huge fan of this movie coz I think it's really original and refreshing. There were a few action scenes in the movie but most of the time the movie is slow and revolved around conversations and discussions.
Plus, if you wanna watch this movie, you have to keep an open mind. Seriously, coz this movie ruffles feathers. Whether you're a Christian or not, you might be offended. Wonder why there was only 1 bible left? coz ppl blamed the bible for the war thus they burnt all the bibles. If you're not a Christian, you may find this movie to be something of a propaganda for Christianity coz the movie is basically about using the bible to save the world. Therefore, if you really wanna enjoy this movie, you have to keep an open mind.
Like I said, Book of Eli is not for everyone which is kinda disappointing coz it just shows that ppl nowadays don't really enjoy thought provoking and engaging movies anymore. But if you're not one of these ppl, then I recommend you give this movie a chance.
Just because I don't share its beliefs,
does not mean I can't appreciate the beauty of its words.
-Gordon Deitrich, V for Vendetta
No comments:
Post a Comment