They say the grass is always greener on the other side. Many feel the same way which is why you see so many Malaysian migrating to other countries in hopes of better career and living quality. Of course when you compare Malaysia with countries like Australia, New Zealand or even Singapore many a time the grass is greener on the other side. Some may agree with me and some may disagree. Whichever side you are on, don't judge me just yet.
Let me tell you why me waking up under a different sky for the rest of my life is something that I cannot imagine. Trust me when I say there are many things that I don't like when it comes to this country of ours. Whether it's the reckless driving by most Malaysian drivers, the hot weather, the over-politicking by our politicians, or the corruptions that are happening, take your pick I'm sure most of you hate these things about Malaysia. I can understand why some people migrate or want to migrate.
But as much as I hate about this country there is also so much that I adore about Malaysia. For example the food. Where else can you find stalls selling chow kueh teow, nasi lemak, roti canai and satay at the same place? Then there's also the people. Now, I'm not talking about how different races are able to co-exist contentedly. Many countries can now do that. I'm talking about how people can actually treat a person of a different religion and race as family and friend. I know there are many people in Malaysia who stereotype and discriminate other races and religions. I don't know where these people come from. But from where I came from, we make friends with people based on the colour of their heart and not the colour of their skin. All I need to do to know that I'm not just being naive is look back at my class photo. All of us , whether malays, chinese, indians, became family for 2 years. We joked, laughed, played, and more importantly cared for each other regardless of race and religion. Fact like some of us ate pork and some didn't merely became a hindrance on where we should eat rather than a hindrance to our friendship.
More importantly, the reason I love the ground which I walk upon is because of the journey that I have had. I have loved, laughed, cried, fought, and learnt on this ground and under this sky. All my memories are laid here. So i agree that this is an imperfect country but then again this is an imperfect world. One day in the future I may work at another country or I may live in a house at another country but deep down I know I will be coming back here... back home.
One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs,
Or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls.
No comments:
Post a Comment