After a long run of not updating myself with the latest movies in cinema, I managed to catch 2 movies in a space of 3 days.
Let's start off with District 9

As usual, a lil introduction first shall we. The movie starts off interestingly enough. It starts off by showing that a huge alien spaceship (more like flying city) came to a halt right above the city of Johannesburg (it's in Africa in case you're wondering where). The aliens a.ka. prawns have now been stranded on earth for 20 years and we humans are starting to get annoyed by these prawns. I'm guessing it's like how you welcome a relative to stay at your place but instead he/she overstays his/her welcome which starts to annoy you. Anyway back to the movie. MNU corp. is in charged of handling these prawns but what they really care bout is the alien's highly sophisticated weaponry. These weapons can only be used by the aliens. Now, the story starts when MNU decides to transfer all the aliens to another place and the person in charged of this operation is Wikus Van sumthing sumthing (don't blame me for his complicated name). In the course of this operation, Wikus came in contact with some sort of alien erm erm 'snot'. Yeah it looks like it. Anyway, the 'snot' starts to transform Wikus into a prawn (hahaha it's not suppose to sound funny). So basically from hereon, MNU wants to harvest Wikus for their alien weaponry technology and the aliens want Wikus so that they can get back to their planet.
Now what I like about this movie is the message it's trying to send. I'm a sucker for this kind of deep movies k. I read in an interview with the director that this movie is actually addressing racial discrimination issue. Instead of making it into another usual racial message movie, he makes this movie special by introducing another race which is the alien race. In this movie, we human basically discriminate and hate these aliens even though all they did was got stranded in a place they didn't want to. I think another msg that this movie wants to send is that we human are capable of unimaginable evil reagardless of our skin colour. District 9 shows how white african AND black african are greedy and evil and who will do anything to get what they want. It's interesting really as you'll probably feel a lil sympathetic for the aliens and you may even be disgusted at what the humans can do (and I mean literally disgusted). But before you think this is one boring movie, District 9 has a lot of action scenes in it. So all in all, it's a movie worth watching.
Now, for the other movie that I saw,
Up

Round 2. Alright, Carl Frederickson is your typical senior citizen. Old and grumpy. But he also loves his late wife very much. When he was young, he promised his wife Ellie that he'll build her a house at Paradise Fall (somewhere at South America if you must know where exactly). So he gets this idea of flying his house to Paradise Fall by tying it with thousands of balloons. However, things get complicated when a young scout got tangled up with his moving plans. But that's not all, things get more complicated when they reach Paradise Fall as Carl encountered a rare bird species and he needs to protect it from a bad person even if he doesn't want to.
Just like all disney pixar movies, Up has not failed to deliver. I mean nobody expects a movie about a grumpy old man flying in his house with balloons to do well but this movie has risen to the challenge and higher. I think what pixar does best is that it knows how to build connection not only among the characters of its movies but with us audiences as well. Before Up starts, there's a short movie which sends a really strong msg and it's so heart warming to watch. If you're watching Up please please please do not be late or you'll miss this short movie. And not just taht, you may even miss the starting part of the movie which is probably the most touching part of the movie. It starts off by showing how Carl met Ellie and how their love blossomed and sadly to how Ellie passed away. I'm goin to risk being called a sissy and gay by telling you all the first 15 minutes was so damn touching and heart wrenching that I had tears in my eyes and I almost cried when I saw how Carl and Ellie got separated. But of course, disney movie won't be disney movie if it's all emo emo. Throughout the movies there are plenty of fun and laughters and more impotantly plenty of morally riched messages. I'm definitely going to get my kids to only watch Disney movies in the future haha. Anyway, yes the movie is good. It's fun. It's touching and it, in a way, helps us get in touch with our inner child once more.
Thanks for the adventure.
Now go make a new one.
No comments:
Post a Comment